"Not only has technology made an impact on the way corporations conduct business, but on the way they entertain as well," says Arthur Backal and his team from Backal Management Group, the operating unit that manages and services all events at Apella, Event Space at Alexandria Center
. Since opening in October 2010, Apella has had the honor of being the host venue for some of New York City's most innovative meetings and social events. Apella has compiled a list of ten of the recent trends in entertainment at meetings and events.
1. Technology. iPad entertainment, iPad magicians (entertainers who combine magic skills and technology), and caricaturists are extremely popular. This forward-thinking type of entertainment can easily be customized by including products, branding, and logos.
2. Urban Street Dance Acts. Street dance entertainment is in demand. These entertainers can put on a show as a duo, small group, or as a large choreographed act. Flash entertainment is in. Quick performances by music trios and surprise entrances by marching bands or opera singers spice up events with a short burst of musical energy.
3. Mentalists. These modern-day magicians will have your guests' heads spinning with their card and mind tricks.
4. Performance Painters. These artists create a painting while the audience looks on.
5. The Return of Funk. Just great, groovy music is hot.
6. Violinists. String acts are sought after, with acts that play everything from classical to hip-hop.
7. Alternative Entertainment. Photo booths, photo walls, and slow-motion video booths are all the rage.
8. Themes. Themes are here to stay. "At the Movies," "The Roaring Twenties," and "The Eighties" are all popular. Entertainment should set the mood and enforce the theme.
9. Custom Hashtags. Creating a custom hashtag for an event means that all event photos will be easily accessible.
10. Immersive. Today's events are immersive experiences that impact all the senses.