share
by Matt Alderton | January 20, 2015
Despite the terror attacks that killed 17 people there Jan. 7-9, group and individual travelers alike remain committed to Paris, the European Tour Operators Association (ETOA) reported last week.

"European Tourism has suffered from outrages in the past, but the remarkable thing is that we have heard of no significant cancellations by groups or individuals traveling. Analyses of the online booking trends show no divergence from before the events," ETOA Executive Director Tom Jenkins said in a statement. "Long haul markets used to be particularly sensitive. A perception of danger in one city in Europe would blight the whole continent. But this has not happened."

The resilience, ETOA theorized, could be due to the localized nature of the atrocities. Or, it could be owed to world leaders, who walked the streets of Paris with citizens on Jan. 11 in a display of solidarity.

"Whatever the reason, so far we have seen a heartening resilience amongst the public. This is not just good news for France, but good news for the rest of Europe," continued Jenkins, who said tourism attractions such as Versailles, Musee D'Orsay, The Eiffel Tower, and The Louvre Museum remain open to individual and group travelers, albeit with heightened security in place. "No visitors have been deterred. They have decided that the best response to this assault is to go to Paris and enjoy themselves. And Paris -- one of the world's top international destinations -- remains defiantly there to be enjoyed."