Dr. Beach Names Coronado Beach Best in U.S.
By Leo Jakobson
May 25, 2012
This page is protected by Copyright laws. Do Not Copy
The well-known coastal expert, Dr. Stephen Leatherman, has announced his annual list of the Top 10 Beaches in America
in the country, and San Diego’s Coronado Beach has taken top honors as America's Beast Beach for 2012.
Dr. Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University and Director of its Laboratory for Coastal Research rates America’s beaches based on a 50-point criteria. He has been releasing a widely-watched list of the 10 best beaches on Memorial Day since 1991.
He described Coronado Beach as a “wide sandy beach set against the backdrop of the iconic Hotel del Coronado with its peaked red roof and classic Victorian architecture. The beach is popular for swimmers, surfers, sunbathers and beachcombers. The beach is very flat, making it great for skim boarding and walking, and the sand has a silvery sheen because of the presence of mica.”
The rest of the top 10, in descending order, were:
- Kahanamoku Beach Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
- Main Beach East Hampton, New York
- St. George Island State Park Florida panhandle
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, Hawaii
- Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina